The Kisumu Yacht Club was founded at a meeting held in the Nyanza Club by those interested in sailing on the 20th of January, 1938. Mr. Tomkinson elected to the chair in the presence of 21 others.
Mr. Cornish, Dr. Cornacle Messrs. Onslow, Farley, and Stevenson were elected to draw the club constitution and rules. In June 1938 the first jetty was constructed and Kisumu Yacht Club held their first regatta in December the same year. During these years they faced a lot of difficulties. In April 1940 sailors planned a long-distance race from Kisumu to Kendu Bay and return on 'August Bank Holiday' spending the night at Kisii but war restrictions prevented this from being realized.
On 9th Sept 1944 (a Saturday), a yacht which mysteriously disappeared from Kisumu Yacht Club a few days earlier re-appeared. It turned up 200miles off on the side of lake Victoria near Bukoba in Uganda with three prisoners of war from Kenya. What good they thought they would do to themselves through the voyage is another matter. They were bound for Portuguese West Africa. They had along trek but got no further, the Chief of Ihangiro found them & surrounded by the tribesmen with bows and arrows and handed them over to Bukoba Police who in turn arranged for their return to Kenya.
The Club has a lot more to look forward to in the future.